How do metal braces work?
Metal braces are made of medical-grade stainless steel. They have three main components:
- Brackets: Metal brackets are attached to the surface of your teeth with a special orthodontic glue that holds them in place.
- Archwire: An archwire is a thin metal wire connecting each bracket.
- Ligatures: Ligatures are small elastics or rubber bands that secure the archwire to the brackets. They come in various colors and can be changed at each appointment.
Once the braces are on your teeth, they apply pressure that moves your teeth into proper alignment. Your orthodontist may adjust your archwire periodically to ensure it’s applying the right amount of pressure.
Metal braces work well for many bite issues, including tough cases like severe overcrowding or crookedness.
Metal braces straighten teeth quickly. Specific treatment lengths vary, but most patients wear metal braces for 18 to 24 months.
Metal braces are incredibly strong. With proper care, they can withstand daily wear from chewing and brushing.
Tips for metal braces care
It’s important to keep your braces in good condition to get the best results. You can care for your metal braces by:
- Avoiding hard or chewy foods that might get stuck in your braces or damage them.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly to prevent food from getting trapped in your braces.
- Wearing a mouthguard when playing contact sports to reduce the risk of damaging your braces.
- Attending all orthodontist appointments to keep your treatment on track.
- Contacting your orthodontist as soon as you notice any damage to your braces.
Why choose Goldreich Orthodontics?
At Goldreich Orthodontics, we help patients of all ages gain confidence in their smiles. We take a personalized approach to give you amazing results and a positive experience.
Patients in the Plano, Texas, area trust Goldreich Orthodontics to help them achieve a beautiful smile. We have the extensive training, knowledge and experience to make your metal braces treatment a success.
Schedule a complimentary consultation today to get started. We offer virtual and in-person consultations to accommodate your needs and preferences.